Hurricane season is once again upon us. Is your business ready for the possibility of the next big storm? Here is a quick checklist of things you can do right now to help better prepare your business for this season:
- Check your business insurance policy to see what type of coverage you have. If you do not carry flood insurance, now is the time to secure a flood policy that will cover both your building structure and the content inside. You can contact us for more information about flood insurance for your business.
- Prepare your employees. Make a written list of jobs for each person to complete in the event of an emergency and go over it with your employees. Design an evacuation plan and walk everyone through it.
- Find areas of the building that will be safe spots for not only the people but also your merchandise during a big storm. If you have pallets on the floor, make sure there is an area where you can raise them to minimize their chance at being damaged in flooding.
- Design a few emergency kits and place them throughout the building. Clearly mark them so everyone will know where they are in case of emergency.
- Have drills occasionally to keep everyone abreast of all emergency procedures.
We hope that this hurricane season stays as calm as they predict this year. But with Mother Nature, you never really know what she has in store until it actually happens. Keep your business running smoothly by taking all the necessary precautions now before it is too late. Do not wait until a storm is in the immediate forecast to scramble. It will be so much easier if everyone at your company is prepared and calm during the next big storm.